When you have a ‘Mold Inspection’ done in your home and there is evidence of elevated moisture where it should not be and/or 1 or more samples tested positive for mold growth, what do you do with that information?
The report should contain needed direction on what should be done to correct the situation. For renters you want to send that report to your landlord immediately. You want to do this because it officially gives them notice that you have a ‘mold issue’ in your home. Just to review mold in California is defined as ‘microorganisms or fungi’ which includes dangerous bacteria growth due to the elevated moisture found.
Giving the report to your landlord ASAP (once you understand it and issues were found) is important so your landlord knows what needs to be done and you are aware of what needs to be done. Otherwise, you can be said not to be in compliance with your lease since most leases say that you must inform the landlord of these issues immediately so it can be addressed.
I am making a point about this since I have seen clients and even a family lawyer hold back the report and just say verbally there is an issue. That is not good since it denies the landlord the opportunity to fix the problem and it denies you the problem actually getting fixed and living in a safe place. It also can hurt you from a legal standpoint as was indicated in the previous paragraph.
Keep in mind it is best to hire a CMC (Certified Microbial Consultant) or CIH (Certified Industrial Hygienist) that can give you the best recommendations and be able to testify in court if needed.
Steve Mullins (i.e. mold detector)
Certified Microbial Consultant (CMC)
Moisture and Mold Detection, Inc.