Apr 14, 2023

Serious Health Saving Tips: A Bandage to Help!

What to do when you are in an unhealthy environment such as one or more ‘wet’ areas in your home that are growing dangerous bacteria and mold. Obviously, the mold, bacteria and wetness have to be removed. But what if that is not going to happen right away for many different reasons.

For example, moving out of the ‘infected home’ until this is done may not be feasible that moment. Or the remediation won’t take place for days, weeks or even longer. Note some ideas below:

  • Contain any wet or ‘mold’ areas with 3 to 5 mil plastic and tape to make it air tight. This will ‘help’ contain (not totally) the bacteria, mold and endotoxins from the bacteria to some extent.
  • Use 1 or more air purifiers with hepa filters and a UV light to screen out mold spores, bacteria. The UV light is internal to the machine and will neutralize bacteria and endotoxins pulled into it.
  • Use a UV lamp in the affected room for some 45 minutes (for the average room) that will neutralize air borne bacteria, endotoxins and even reduce mycotoxins (from mold). Keep in mind you cannot look at the UV light directly. Getting one with a directional shade can help protect your eyes. Using it in a dark room works better since natural sunlight will interfere with the UV light rays during the daytime. You would need to repeat this perhaps on a daily basis until the situation is remedied.
  • Wipe down all potentially affected surfaces with an antimicrobial agent (disinfectant) to eliminate bacteria.
  • Did you know you can use a UV wand to run over virtually any surface to neutralize bacteria in about 10 seconds from within about 6 inches of the surface?
  • Maintain a good regiment of cleaning your home.

The above measures can help in this type of situation but will not solve the problem. It is basically a bandage to help get you through it a little better. Of course, these tips can and should be used once a remediation is done and to help keep your home safer for you family.

Steve Mullins (i.e. Mold Detector)

CMC, Certified Microbial Consultant

Moisture and Mold Detection, Inc.

About Us
Contact Us

Pin It on Pinterest