Apr 19, 2024

Renter’s Insurance and Mold!

How do you get your renter’s insurance to cover or pay for personal belongings that may have been affected by mold? And how do you know if they are affected?

First, you need to have a ‘Mold Inspection’ done to look for moisture and mold issues. Remember mold under California law is defined as ‘microorganisms or fungi’. This includes all living matter at the microscopic level and bacteria are the main part of that.

When a home gets wet in one or more areas mold and bacteria will grow and each can become airborne and settle on surfaces all over the home.  When an inspection is performed by either a Certified Microbial Consultant or Certified Industrial Hygienist they will comment on the state of the belongings in a home as to what may be done with them. Meaning, are they salvageable or need to be disposed of? When you get their report you give it to your insurance company as it will have requirements and recommendations for those affected belongings.


Steve Mullins (i.e. mold detector)

CMC, Certified Microbial Consultant

Moisture and Mold Detection, Inc.

About Us
Contact Us

Pin It on Pinterest