Sep 12, 2023

No Visible Mold? But I’m sick!

Many folks call me and say they don’t feel well in their home yet they don’t see any mold or
leaks. What is the possibility? Most of the time there may not be ‘Visible Mold’ because it may
be growing inside a wall or even under the floor. This will happen when water from a leak of
some sort since mold and bacteria start to grow in just a few days. One to two days for mold and
3 to 5 days for bacteria in the average home.

When this happens then the bad bacteria produce what are known as endotoxins which are
potentially fatal. These typically make people sick in a very short time once the bacteria and
their endotoxins become numerous enough from damp/wet conditions that you may be unaware

The solution is to have an inspection done for potential moisture by a qualified inspector,
preferably a Certified Microbial Consultant (CMC) or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH).
These top certified professionals will then give the appropriate recommendations to address any
moisture found.

What can you do in the mean time? You can use air cleaning machines with hepa filters and UV
light that will screen out bacteria, mold spores and render the endotoxins harmless. Using a
separate UV light for about 45 minutes for the average room will neutralize endotoxins in the air
and surfaces it touches. It should be used in a dark room since sunlight will cancel the UV rays
out and won’t be as effective. Be careful not to look at the UV light as it can hurt your eyes.

Steve Mullins (i.e. Mold Detector)
Certified Microbial Consultant (CMC)
Moisture and Mold Detection, Inc.

About Us
Contact Us

Pin It on Pinterest