This can be an extensive blog on this topic. But let’s make it as simple and straight forward as possible. If you suspect mold in your home, it is usually best not to tell your insurance company that, initially. The reason is that insurance companies like to look for reasons to deny claims to save themselves money. When you start using the word mold that indicates a leak of some type has been going on for a period of time which gives the insurance reason to deny the claim. They will use their vendors to help determine this and deny your claim.
It is better to have your home inspected for potential moisture and mold issues first. Keep in mind that if you have had any kind of leak and was repaired there is normally moisture still left in the area where it occurred and possibly beyond that immediate area. Meaning, unless a company certified in water damage restoration (this means they professionally dry out homes) was used to remove any left-over moisture/water then mold is already growing as it starts to grow in 1 to 2 days and bacteria starts growing in 3 to 5 days after getting a water source.
So even if it has been a few months since a leak, that does not mean it isn’t still wet and will be growing mold and bacteria as a result. So, if you suspect mold for any reason have the inspection done by hopefully a CMC (Certified Microbial Consultant) like myself or a CIH (Certified Industrial Hygienist) as these credentials are the best to evaluate these situations. A report is then provided directing what needs to be done such as remediation.
At this point you can call your insurance and tell them the steps you have taken. The idea is that as long as you have taken timely action then the insurance will likely accept your claim, assuming it is caused by a covered event listed in your policy. When they accept your claim they will also reimburse you for the expense of the inspection.
Steve Mullins (i.e. mold detector)
CMC, Certified Microbial Consultant
Moisture and Mold Detection, Inc.