May 24, 2024

How to Talk to Your Insurance Company About Mold

Remember: It is best not to start out by saying ‘I think we have mold’. Depending on the company your claim may be turned down almost immediately. Also; ‘We have a leak that is been going on for some time, like several weeks or months’.
Those type of phrases can get your claim turned down. When you suspect a leak or mold then hire a professional inspector either a plumber/leak detector and/or a Mold Inspector. I highly recommend a Certified Microbial Consultant (like myself) or a Certified Industrial Hygienist as these are the top 2 credentials to evaluate mold/bacteria.
If the existence of elevated moisture or mold is confirmed then you can give the report to your insurance company, assuming the cause is a covered one, and let them know the inspector found a moisture issue (that likely will be covered by your insurance). The date of the inspection and report is the date you found out that there was an issue confirmed by a professional. This is the best way to approach it especially since the report will have direction on how to address the issue which will likely be more thorough than what the insurance vendor (restoration company) and adjuster will want to do.
But because the direction on how to address is coming from a top expert in the field that outranks the restoration company or the adjuster then generally the adjuster and restoration company will have to follow the direction in the report.

Steve Mullins (i.e. Mold Detector)
CMC, Certified Microbial Consultant
Moisture and Mold Detection, Inc.

About Us
Contact Us

Pin It on Pinterest