Most people have heard about getting sick from mold and the mycotoxins these produce. Not everyone has heard about Endotoxins that come from the dangerous bacteria that normally grow alongside mold in wet/damp conditions. The latter are toxic as the name implies and are potentially fatal and cause a variety of bad health effects to people.
But did you know that research shows that being exposed to both mold (and mycotoxins), dangerous bacteria, and the endotoxins these produce have combined health effects that are actually worse than when being exposed to each one by themselves? Likely you have not heard this but it does make sense, does it not?
Keep in mind though, that a person will likely feel the effects from endotoxins quicker than from mold alone since these get airborne and are toxic to people as already mentioned. Mold exposure usually takes time to affect a person such as weeks, months, or longer depending on various factors.
So, it is important to understand that wet conditions in a home pose a serious health risk and it makes sense that we as owners or tenants be diligent about addressing leaks or water events so that a health threatening situation does not develop in our homes that can and will affect our families. Don’t hesitate to take the needed action to fix a leak or report it to your landlord to help keep your family safe.
Steve Mullins (i.e. Mold Detector)
CMC, Certified Microbial Consultant
Moisture and Mold Detection, Inc.